WCB Movie Writer
Boo! Now that I have your attention. I have to admit that even though I love science fiction and fantasy movies, what I really love are horror films. I thought putting together a list of my favorite scary movies will help rev up your Halloween night. And I’m sure some of you will agree with my choices. Watch some leading up to Halloween and on Halloween night and get a good scare!
- The Exorcist (1973): Of course this is number one. This is the scariest movie of all time. The original is the only one worth watching.
- Psycho (1960): The original Psycho is iconic and the shower scene is the definition of scary.
- The Shining (1980): The original movie that taught us what fear is. A classic psychological ride.
- Rose Red (2002): A great Stephen King movie about a HUGE haunted house. It’s 5 hours long but who cares? It keeps your attention. The undead characters in this movie will scare the crap out of you.
- Rec (2007)/Rec2 (2009): These two movies are foreign films and are the SCARIEST movies of our modern-day time. You won’t be able to sleep at night, I promise. Hold on to your popcorn, it is sure to fly as you jump from every terrifying scene.
- Halloween (1978): What’s better than watching the original Halloween on Halloween night?
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968): The seed of Satan, creepy neighbors, and the ultimate spine-chilling movie.
- The Omen (1976): Creepiest little boy ever! The original is the only way to go!
- Carrie (1976): Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were so strange and creepy in this classic!
- Nosferatu (1922): The timeless Dracula movie. If you haven’t seen this amazing silent film, what better time than on Halloween!?
- The Birds (1963): Terrified of birds? If not, you will be by the end of this movie!
- Poltergeist (1982): “They’re here.”
- Hellraiser (1987): It has gore, killings, Hell, demons, sex, the undead and awesome makeup and acting.
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974): The original must be watched!
- Alien (1979): A great movie that started it all!
- The Thing (1982): The original and new one are both great thrilling alien movies.
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991): A bone-chilling classic!
- The Sixth Sense (1999): A classic horror flick we all know and love.
- Jaws (1975): Might seem a little corny now but still a scary underwater creature feature.
- Saw series (2005-2010): Gross, eerie and terrifying. Even though the Saw series needed to stop being made after what, the hundredth? The first few were classics and oh so greatly bloody.
- Orphan (2009): I love this movie. Rent it now! The ending will totally shock you!
- Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962): An awesome psychological thriller. Former child star (Bette Davis) forces her sister (Joan Crawford) who is a retired movie star because of a crippling accident to live in isolation. Bette Davis is creepy and amazing in this movie! A must-see.
- Suspiria (1977): A foreign film about a creepy ballet academy and wow, the soundtrack. The soundtrack would be great to play at a Halloween party.
- Candyman (1992): Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman. See what happens if you say his name 5 times in this classic movie that takes place in Chi-town!
- Wishmaster (1997): An evil genie wreaks havoc in this scary movie.
- The Dentist (1996): Some of the scenes in this movie are so hard to watch but a crazy dentist? How horrifying!?
- Night of the Living Dead (1968): The classic bloodthirsty zombie movie!
- Buried (2010): This is the ultimate nightmare. Being buried alive!
- The Amityville Horror (1979): This movie has been remade and remade but the original is the best one to give you some screams.
- Steven King’s It (1990): A creepy ass clown. What else do you need to frighten you on Halloween night?
- Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986): Based on a true story of a serial killer. Graphic and haunting.
- Paranormal Activity series (2007-2012): This is a great series. Can’t wait to see the new one!
- Scream (1996): The most well-known slasher film. A perfect film for Halloween night!
- The Strangers (2008): Another ultimate nightmare. Strangers, masks, and terrifying you in the comfort of your own home.
- The Others (2001): Nicole Kidman stars in this movie where she has creepy kids, a creepy house and creepy servants. The ending is a fabulous twist!
- The Ring (2002): We all have seen the ring and discovered the mystery to the strange videotape but this movie totally delivers!
- Black Christmas (1974/2006): You could watch this on Christmas too! Although, it may put a damper on the festive day. The original and remake are both great! The ultimate holiday slasher flick.
- The Fly (1986): A science experiment goes wrong and a man slowly turns into a fly. Creepy as hell!
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): Not my favorite series but still great for a slasher movie night.
- Scanners (1981): A great movie about psychic powers and what happens when you use them to their fullest potential.
- Misery (1990): You’ll never be able to look at Kathy Bates again in this psychological thriller by Stephen King.
- Flowers in the Attic (1987): A spooky movie about an evil mother and grandmother who are keeping her kids and her grandkids locked in the attic, hardly feeding them and not letting them outside. It’s based on the book by V.C. Andrews, it’s amazing!
- Pet Semetary (1989): Another amazing movie by Stephen King; the horror artist!
- Dead Silence (2007): A killer story about a ventriloquist who died years and years ago and comes after you to cut out your tongue! It’s scarier than it sounds!
- Frailty (2001): It follows a crazy religious dad of two young boys and dad murders people who have been deemed as “demons.”
- The Last House on the Left (1972/2009): The original and newer version are both great. It’s a great storyline too.
- The People Under the Stairs (1991): A horror flick about parents who lock kids in the basement.
- The Evil Dead (1981): The classic masterpiece franchise of gore and evil.
- The Haunting (1963): It’s gotta be the original! The eerie mansion, the thrill seeking of ghosts; The Haunting is the best haunted mansion film out there!
- House of Wax (2005): Not too terrifying but has some eerie elements. Plus, Paris Hilton’s in it and [SPOILER] she dies. Now you want to watch it don’t you?
I had a blast writing this. I got to watch some of these that I haven’t seen in awhile and I watched ones I had never seen before. There’s nothing better than a good scare. “Do you like scary movies? What’s your favorite?” HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!
Post a Comment